We want every child to delight in the present every moment of every day.
Our Education System
|Value and Beliefs||Educational Principles|
|Oneness||the world is one, a diverse unity , that every human being shares the same essence – full of vitality, knowledge and happiness||
|The power of attention in the present moment||attention is the key. Life takes place in the present moment.||
|Enquiry and self-discovery||life is a journey of enquiry and self-discovery||
|Learning||every child can realize their full potential||
|Stillness||regular access to stillness is essential||
What Else is Different?
Some of the visible ones are:
- Class sizes are significantly smaller. (In 2017/18 the average class size was 15; the largest was 22)
- Teachers stay with their classes for longer
- We start earlier and finish later;
- Extra time for learning
- There are daily ethos-based assemblies
- Each class has a weekly philosophy lesson and there is an annual whole school Philosophy week
- We come to rest for a moment at the end of every activity
- Pupils & teacher eat a hot vegetarian lunch together
- 3 PE classes a week
- Two annual class performances
- Close parent teacher contact
Boys and Girls – Separate or Together?
When JSS started the policy was to educate boys and girls separately. This was not always possible due to varying class sizes. As a result we have significant experience of mixed and separate classes.
Our current view is that younger children – up to the age of 10 – are best educated together. Teachers of mixed classes have to be mindful of the different natures of boys and girls. Two examples are, boys tend to be quicker at numeracy while girls tend to be quicker at literacy & boys tend to be more direct in their behaviour than girls.
As of September 2018, all classes are mixed.