Basketball Final

With the league stage finished, three wins and two losses, we thankfully did enough to qualify for the quarter-final of the plate competition. Spirits were high as the boys knew that this was a great opportunity to go the whole way to the final.

First up was the quarter-final vs Sandymount Educate Together on 21st November.

We knew that this was going to be a tough game as Sandymount knocked us out at the same stage last year by two points. The game, as expected, was a close affair, and at halftime, the score stood at 15-16 to Sandymount; it was all to play for. It was basket for basket and in the closing stages of the third quarter, Corin scored two free throws to put us one point ahead. The final quarter was no different and with great scores from Yude and Maks and a timely score from Josh, the final whistle blew … a two point win for John Scottus.. and relief all round. Roll on the semi-final.

Next up was the semi-final away to St Tiernans on 29th November.

This was another close encounter and a great team performance. The boys worked really hard for each other, and it was their best defensive game of the season. The standout performances were from Yude and Max who scored twelve points each. There was also great outside shooting from Eoin with six points and Josh scoring six points under the boards. We finished with a great win 41 – 28.

Next up … The Final V Strafford College 6th December, Oblates Hall Inchicore..

The excitement around the school had been building as it was the first time John Scottus had reached a final in a long time. The game started at 10 am, and the nerves were gone; it was time to play. After a slow start and Strafford College making some great opening baskets, the boys finally settled, and we now had a great game on our hands. It was score-for-score for the remainder of the first half. After a short halftime break, it was time to get back on the court and give everything. In the third quarter, we fought hard but took a little dip in performance and trailed by eight points. It was still all to play for, and the boys came out fighting in the last quarter. They closed the eight-point gap, and the game was a draw; nobody could call it. In the final minute of the game, we were two points down with two free throws to draw level. We scored one point, leaving us needing one basket to win. With under ten seconds to go, we needed the ball, but unfortunately, time just ran out for us; it was an agonizing one-point loss. The boys were understandably disappointed, but overall a great team performance with everyone making an enormous contribution.

Although we fell at the final hurdle, we are immensely proud of all the boys. They have really gelled together this year we are already looking forward to continuing our basketball journey next year. Thank you so much to Yursa, who was a great support to the lads for all their games, especially in the final and for helping with table duties, motivation, and even coaching.

We have to mention our amazing supporters and teachers, and you really lifted the boys and the atmosphere. Hopefully, we can bring you more days like this.

Team: Yude He,  Max Senatore, Joshua Mullins, Coirin O’Leary, Jake Khan, Eoin Walsh, Emre Ucar, Emanuel Keene, Odhran Leahy, Oisin Conlon and Liam Crimes

Next up… 2nd year boys league after Christmas.. watch this space

Special thanks to our Basketball coach, Edel Scott, who has been working with the boys since last year. It’s amazing to see the improvements they have made in this time. 

Share this: