Feeder School Tables 2014
The feeder school tables, 2014, were published on Nov 27. The tables indicate that John Scottus School have a 61 % progression rate to third level colleges. In the light of these tables, I thought I might inform you about the 6th years who have recently left.
The average numbers of CAO points attained by students in 2014 was 369. This compares to 380 in 2013, 437 in 2012 and 437 in 2011.
- 2014 – 369
- 2013 – 380
- 2012 – 437
- 2011 – 437
The average points total changes quite significantly because of the relatively small number sitting the Leaving Certificate in 2014.
Of the 28 who sat the Leaving Certificate:
- 64 % (18 students) progressed to recognised third level colleges home and abroad
- 11 % (3 students) progressed to Institutes of Technologies/NCI/DBS
- 14 % (4 students) progressed to Institutes of Further Education
- 11 % (3 students) either went working or repeated the Leaving Certificate
Some other points worth considering
- Only Trinity, UCD, DCU, UCC, MU, NUIG, UL and RCSI are recognised as third level in the statistics
- 70% of this year’s Irish based college registration are of students who sat the Leaving in June 2014 … hence the progression numbers are inflated by about 25%(Brian Mooney, Irish Times, Nov 27, 2014)
- Germany has a progression rate of 44 % to third level. This raises the question as to whether we should be measuring the success of our education system on third-level progression rates (Brian Mooney, Irish Times, Nov 27, 2014)