The Mindfulness Practice in Schools, organized by John Scottus Secondary School, took place on March 18th in the Avila Retreat Centre. It was completely booked out with a long waiting list. The success of the event illustrates how the benefits of Mindfulness in education are now widely accepted.
Some resources for Mindful Living:
1. Morning Mindfulness Of Breath…
your breath is nourishing, calming so why not set yourself up for the day. When you wake, take 5 minutes to sit and focus your attention on your breath. Try to resist the urge to race into the day. Your thoughts, feelings and bodily sensations might race and rush…allow them to be and let them pass. Return your attention to the physical feeling of your breath moving in and out of the body.
2. Mini Meditation – The 3 Minute Breathing Space…
for when you need a quick step back from what’s going on.
- Minute 1: Sitting or standing, bring your attention to your current thoughts, feelings and bodily
sensations. “How am I right now? What am I experiencing?” Acknowledge them all.
- Minute 2: Narrow in your focus by bringing your attention to the physical sensations of breathing.
- Minute 3: Broaden your attention out to focus on your whole body, as if your whole body was breathing.
If there’s any discomfort, bring breath to that place. No fighting, embrace it.
- Take your time – don’t expect miracles from day one
- Give it a chance – mindfulness requires regular practice, just commit to giving it a go
- Enjoy it – the only reason to practice mindfulness is to get more from your life
www.mindful.org – Mindful is a resource-packed hub of all things mindfulness.
www.freemindfulness.org – The Free Mindfulness Project: created by NHS Clinical Psychologist with free mindfulness exercises.
www.goamra.org – American Mindfulness Research Association: free monthly e-bulletin with scientific advances in mindfulness.
www.cfmi.ie – Centre for Mindfulness Ireland – Anne Twohig: teaching, mentoring of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
email@example.com – Mari Kennedy: mindfulness teacher, transformational facilitator, yoga teacher.
www.consciousconsulting.ie – Conscious Consulting – Lydia Kiernan: mindful facilitator, youth leadership trainer and conscious coach.
www.sanctuary.ie – The Sanctuary: website for Sister Stan’s centre in Stanhope Street.
www.learnmindfulness.ie – Learn Mindfulness – Gary Dunne: mindfulness teacher, ex school teacher and mindful education advocate.
- Full Catastrophe Living (Jon Kabat – Zinn)
- The Miracle of Mindfulness (Thich Nhat Hanh)
- Get Some Headspace (Andy Puddicombe)